Ayurveda emerged in India thousands of years ago and it is a holistic health approach, which focuses on rebalancing the life forces, called doshas, within your body. Ayurveda comprises a lot of magical therapies that help in healing and soothing the body and its various parts and problems. In this article, you are gonna get aware of one such soul calming therapy called Shirodhara. Shirodhara is an incredible ancient natural medical and one of its kind body therapy.
Shirodhara creates such a great and intense impact on the body’s nervous system. This indicates that the treatment directly and immediately calms, relaxes, and has a cleansing effect on the mind and nerves. In the conventional medicine practice, there is no such body therapy that creates a similar impact on the nervous system, keeping aside an established meditation practice.
Shirodhara the word is derived from two Sanskrit words “Shiro” which means head, and the other one is “Dhara ” which means flow. When combined it means to pour or drip lukewarm herbal oils on the forehead in a continuous stream. In this ayurvedic healing process some sort of liquid usually oil, milk, buttermilk, or water is poured over the patient’s forehead. It generally also includes body, scalp, or head massage in it.
This article will provide you a piece of detailed information regarding Shirodhara therapy and all the concerned aspects like what exactly Shirodhara is, what are its types, from whom it is most beneficial, why Shirodhara, post-Shirodhara tips, and many such aspects would be covered here. So take a setback and get ready as there is a lot to imbibe here.
Shirodhara is an Ayurveda ancient method of healing that can really help one find harmony within the mind, body, and spirit for holistic wellbeing. It is one of the most important therapies mentioned in Ayurveda that does not only rejuvenate and purify the body but also relieves stress, mental fatigue and treats several disorders.
Shirodhara treatment is a kind of ‘murdha taila’ procedure. which refers to the application of oil on the head or murdha.
In the therapy, the oil is poured from a certain height for a certain time to allow it to run through the scalp and into the hair. It stimulates an essential and vital point on the head called the ‘Ajna Marma’ or the ‘Maha-Marma’, which is responsible for bringing stability in the mind and consciousness. As per Ayurveda, the Ajna Marma is the key point through which an important life force or ‘Prana’ circulates. It is also said to be the center of intuition and is referred to as the ‘Third-Eye Chakra’.
Besides that, Shirodhara also balances the doshas in the body and enhances the functioning of the nervous system while delivering a truly rewarding and divine experience.
Application Of Oil Can Be Done In 4 Ways
- Shiro Abhyanga – in this the head is massaged with herbal oils for a fixed duration of time usually 30-40 mins.
- Shiro Seka or Shiro Dhara – It is a procedure in which herbal oils or medicated liquids like milk or buttermilk are poured in a stream over the head of the patient for a certain fixed time frame, that is generally 35-45 mins or 60 mins.
- Shiro Pichu – Here the application of the oil is done by simply placing a cotton pad dipped in oil over the head
- Shiro Basti or Shiro Vasti – the procedure consists of a dam constructed over the head of a seated person. Then a cap is sealed to the head with wet, black gram flour. Then that dam is filled with herbal oils and it is held there for a stipulated time.
Important Points To Be Noted
- The treatment is normally done either in the morning or in the evening to get the maximum results.
- In certain health conditions, apart from the head and scalp, a whole-body massage i.e Abhyanga is done by using herb-infused oils.
- The client is asked to take a bath using medicated water or from warm water after 30 minutes, once the therapy is completed.
- It is prescribed to use medicated shampoos for the removal of the oil from the hair.
- Intake of caffeinated products are prohibited for a few days as that may negate the benefits of the treatment.
- It is suggested to go for a Vata pacifying diet.
Who Should Get Shirodhara Done?
Shirodhara is one of the best treatments for a compromised nervous system.
Shirodhara effectively helps in providing relief from the symptoms of anxiety, stress, fatigue, and hypertension. It also calms tension, worry, fear, and headache as well as depression. It helps in regulating the mood and provides the feeling of pleasure and relaxation.
It is advised that treatment should be done for the prevention of various psychosomatic disorders. In a sound and healthy person, the prevention of diseases on the body, mind, and sense organs is the foremost indication.
Shirodhara also Assists in having the following conditions.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Insomnia and shift work sleep disorder (SWSD)
- Jet Lag
- Headaches of different types like cluster headaches, migraines, tension headaches, headaches originating at the temples.
- Hemiplegia or paralysis
- Burning sensation in the head
- Itchiness in scalp
- Loss of memory and Alzheimer’s disease
- Certain Eyes disease
- Certain diseases of ears
- Proper neuro-muscular coordination
- Heart diseases
- Sluggish metabolism
- Diabetic neuropathy
Types Of Shirodhara Therapy
- Sneha Dhara This type of Shirodhara uses herbal oil called tela or ghee is used for the therapy
- Ksheer Dhara the liquid applied in this therapy is milk infused with herbs. The infused milk is rhythmically poured onto the forehead from a specific height and for a specific period allowing the milk to run through the scalp and into the hair.
Ksheer Dhara Is Best For People Suffering From:
- Imbalanced pitta
- Hair loss
- Sleeplessness as a result of aggravated pitta
- Also for rejuvenation in summer and hot climates.
- Takra Dhara over here buttermilk infused with suitable herbs is used for the therapy. In This, the buttermilk runs through the scalp and into the hair.
Takra Dhara Is Best For People Having:
- Digestion issues
- Gray hair
- Suffering from headaches
- Burning of the hands and the feet
- Disorders of the eyes, ears, and nose, is due to aggravated pitta and Kapha
- Skin disease of psychosomatic origin.
Things To Avoid After Shirodhara
After a person has received Shirodhara there are certain restrictions that they have to strictly follow for at least the next seven days.
- They can not indulge in sex
- Has to avoid getting sexually stimulated
- Avoid strenuous physical exercise
- Excessive exposure to the sun is restricted
- Intake of cold food is prohibited
- No smoking
- Avoid getting exposed to strong wind and dust.
- Do not speak or shouting loudly
- No long walks
- Do not drive for the next 24 hours.